Bricklayers Insurance

Bricklayers or "brickies" in the United Kingdom play a vital role in the building industry. They are professional and skilled tradesmen, who work hard and are dedicated to their trade. As a trade, brickies have an expertise much like that of an artist. They understand structure and how to use brick to make any project aesthetically beautiful. There are thousands of projects that require the skills of a bricklayer, and the need for a bricklayer to be protected by the right insurance package is obvious. Insurances for bricklayers in the UK are advertised on the Internet, and a search will give numerous sites to research. It is important for any bricklayer to carefully read each option available to him and after researching the Internet, contact the Bricklayers and Tradesman insurance brokers that best suit his needs.

Must-Have Insurance For Bricklayers

Public Liability Insurance protects a bricklayer from any liabilities from a third party for injury or damage to the third party's property that happen during normal business operations. In the event that an error occurs on behalf of the bricklayer's business or the bricklayer, Public Liability Insurance will likely pay damages and legal expenses. Most of the time, a Public Liability claim involves a slip or trip accident. For example, a third party walks on to a construction site unknowingly and trips on a series of bricks. He falls and breaks a leg. This is cause for a liability claim against you or your bricklaying company. Without Public Liability Insurance, you could be faced with hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation and legal fees. With Public Liability, you will likely be covered and all expenses will likely be handled by your insurance broker. Peace of mind in knowing that if an accident occurs, medical costs will likely be paid and property repaired is worth the expense of investing in Public Liability Cover. The standard amount of liability cover for bricklayers is at least £1 million with the option to increase to £2 or or £5 million.

Employers' Liability Insurance

If you hire part-time, full-time, sub-contractors, trainees or freelancers in your bricklaying business, you must by law have Employers' Liability Insurance. It protects you and your company from any claims an employee makes against you whether it be an injury, property loss or illness. Even if an employee is no longer employed by you, if he falls ill after termination and the illness is related to his employment, he can file a claim.

Any bricklayer who owns a company and has employees is obligated to have at least £5 million of employers’ liability cover. Most employers opt for at least £10 million cover. If an employer does not have Employers' Liability, he faces fines of up to £2,500 for every day without it. A certificate must be displayed stating an employer has Employers' Liability Insurance. The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) is the governing agency that makes sure this law is enforced.

Bricklayers Product Liability Insurance

If a product you use as part of your bricklaying business causes illness, injury or property loss because of the product you used, you could be responsible for damages that occurred to the consumer. The consumer can file a claim . As the supplier, you can be held responsible even if you did not manufacture the product. Product Liability Insurance protects you against any unpredicted situation. If you used an inferior product unknowingly, Product Liability will likely cover you for safety claims, indemnity costs, manufacturing quality and more. Bricklayers' Product Liability Insurance will probably cover liabilities from a third party injury or damage to property, which occur because of the products or materials you supplied or sold.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Professional Indemnity Insurance will likely cover you against any advice you give or design input you might recommend that causes a person or company to sustain a loss. As a bricklayer, you probably give advice or offer a service to a client. For example, if you make an error in the layout of a brick wall for a project, and it is noticed once work has begun and the materials have been purchased, your client would likely lose money, because the project would have to be restarted and the materials repurchased. You would be liable for the cost.

You should consider taking out professional indemnity insurance if your business gives advice or offers a professional service to other businesses. It covers you if you are negligent or make a mistake which causes a client’s business to suffer financial loss. It will also likely cover all legal expenses involved in the claim.

Bricklayers Tools, Plant and Equipment Insurance

Whether you have a business base or not, a bricklayer should insure tools and equipment for losses, damages or destruction off site or on site. The level of tool cover is determined by the tools and equipment that you own and generally products against theft, damage or loss. Most bricklayers have up to £10,000 worth of tools and equipment cover. This type of coverage is an add-on to most business insurance policies. Check with your insurance broker to see what the premium would be to add this valuable insurance to protect your tools and equipment. Bricklayers depend on tools and equipment to get the job done. Cover is a vital necessity to a bricklayer's business and livelihood.


Remember that every insurance policy is different. ALWAYS read the policy carefully to make sure that it has the right cover for you!

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved