Central Heating Fitters Insurance

Central Heating Contractors Insurance Overview

United Kingdom Central Heating Contractors are responsible for making sure that heating systems in homes and businesses are properly installed in order to provide heat and ventilation throughout the living or working space.
This involves installing the main heating unit, either gas or electric, radiators or other vents that provide the heat and a programmer, which regulates the amount of heat and provide hot water when needed.

As a trade, central heating contractors face many risks. There are many aspects of their jobs that involve drilling holes in ceilings and walls that can cause damages. Pipes have to be installed throughout a home or business that could unknowingly be defective, causing water damage should they burst. The programmer installed could also be defective and cause lack of or too much heat. If a client is unhappy with the work a central heating contractor has done, claims can be filed by the client that could cause major financial problems for the contractor.

For these reasons and others, it's very important for central heating contractors to carry Contractors Liability Insurance. Contractor Liability Insurance is an industry term that collectively describes the liability insurances anyone in the central heating business need to handle claims related to injury or illness to a person or party, and any damages that occur because of the work performed by the contractor.

If you own a Central Heating business you need Contractors Liability Insurance. Contractors insurance companies can be found by searching the Internet. Whilst these policies generally speak of legal liability, if you look for specifics to the central heating trade, you will probably find features of contractor's liability insurance that apply to your trade. They include:

Public Liability Insurance

Public Liability Insurance protects your legal liability of loss, injury or damage to a third person or their property caused during the course of your business dealings with the. Product liability can be added to a Public Liability policy, which will cover any defective product or service you provided to a third party. As examples, if you install pipes that are defective and they burst causing injury to a person in the home, a Public Liability claim and a Product Liability claim can be filed for injury and damages as well as a claim for installing a defective product.

A Public Liability policy will likely protect you and your business should you be sued for injury or damages that you are legally liable for. It will also likely cover all legal fees involved. It will not cover you should you hurt yourself. This would fall under Income Protection Insurance. The premiums are reasonably inexpensive and the policy is considered very important to have in the Central Heating Contractors trade.

The indemnity limits of a Public Liability policy should a claim be filed usually begin at 1 million. There are options to increase this to 2 million, 5 million, 10 million depending on the risk involved. Most central heating contractors opt for at least 2 million in cover because of the nature of their trade and the risks involved.

Employers' Liability Insurance

If your central heating business has any employees, you must by law have Employers' Liability Insurance. Employers' Liability protects you and your business against claims raised by an employee for illness or disease, or injury sustained by an employee whilst employed by you. In the UK, under EU law, the limit for Employers' Liability is 10 million, which can be increased should you feel you need more. The only exceptions to this rule are if your company is limited and you as the shareholder is the sole employee and director or if you have close relatives working for you. It is advised that you discuss these exceptions with your insurance broker before deciding whether coverage is necessary. When you purchase an Employers' Insurance policy, you will receive a certificate that must be displayed where all employees can read it. The certificate verifies that you do have Employers' cover and gives details as to the amount and numbers of employees included in the policy.

As a central heating contractor sole tradesman or business owner, you will find by searching the Internet policies that can be tailored to suit your liability needs, as well as cover for employees who are temporary, part-time, full-time or in training. You will also find cover options for you should you be injured or become ill and unable to work. There are also additional insurances to cover tools. You can add business equipment cover for lap tops, etc. and cover for equipment that might be in storage. Should your business be interrupted because of unforeseen circumstances that prevent you from carry out your services for a period of time, you can look into Business Interrupted cover. There are many options to choose from, and it will serve you well to research all the cover available to you and decide what you need to maintain your business and have peace of mind. Once you have looked at various insurance companies and options on the Internet, remember to request a detailed summary of what is available as well as premium quotes. After reviewing policies, discuss options with an insurance broker who is familiar with the needs of central heating contractors. If you have any queries that you are not sure about regarding liability or employee insurance policy cover or any aspect of the contract you are interested in, your insurance broker should be able to answer all of your queries and advise you as to what will work best for your circumstances.

Remember that every insurance policy is different. ALWAYS read the policy carefully to make sure that it has the right cover for you!

Copyright liabilityinsuranceuk.org.uk 2010 All Rights Reserved